Friday, July 5, 2019

Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado (July 2019)

My favorite place to stay because it is "old home week" whenever I am here ...... this was my first duty station in 1974 and I lived in this BOQ (B/504) for four months.  Lots of memories.

I checked-in on Wednesday 03 July 2019 and discovered why it is "nearly impossible" for a retiree to reserve a room for "leisure."
     Right next door to B/504, way back in 1986 or so, they built another BOQ, B505.  
     Well, 505 has recently been turned into a barracks and is no longer a part of the Navy Gateway Inns & Suites.  Thus, no less than 1/2 of the rooms were lost to NGIS.   
     The only way I got in here was with the help of my active-duty nephew stationed here in San Diego.  He walked up to the front desk, made a reservation for himself using his "active duty horsepower" and then added my name to the reservation so I could actually check-in on my own.

So I'm in and very grateful just to have a room, any room.  I got double-lucky because I was assigned a south-facing view.  And triple lucky because I'm on the 7th floor (the 8th & 9th floors are the suites, and zero availability).  And the south-facing view is the premier view:  looking east, then sweeping to the south and to the west ..... a 180-degree view and "spectacular" does not do justice to the magnificence of the view.

As you can see in the top picture below, I re-oriented the small desk so I would be looking to the southeast while computer-izing, surfing the 'net, and adding this blog post.

One big change on-base.  In the 5th & 7th picture you can see a big parking lot.  That real estate used to be the Officer's Club.  The club was shuttered many years ago.  But just recently it was obviously razed and a parking lot installed ...... the pavement is still nice and dark and brand-new looking, and all the white striping is very fresh.

I will check out on Monday July 8th.









No comments:

Post a Comment